HELP US |
UNESCO INFORMATION |
SIMILAR DAYS/RECOGNITION |
Help Make "World Lindy Hop Day" A UNESCO Reality
We are asking that all people affected by Lindy Hop or Swing Dancing
in all of it's forms to contact UNESCO
in order to
get attention to our cause and hope of getting World Lindy Hop Day added
to the UNESCO calendar. (Scroll to the bottom of the page for an email form)
You can post something as simple as "Please consider making May 26th
World Lindy Hop Day in the UNESCO Calendar" or feel free to give more
information, you are welcome to use anything you find on this page or
else write up your own story to give to UNESCO.
Please help us make UNESCO be aware of the date for World Lindy Hop Day!
Yesterday was Frankie Manning's birthday, and as a special
honor he has been witnessed by much of the internet world thanks to
being honored as a
on the front page of the Google search engine.
World Lindy Hop is already celebrated
world by people who have been touched by the Swing Dancing movement.
This has brought people and communities together in a uniting
UNESCO is the premier organization for monitoring and
protecting world culture. One of the ways that they respect cultures
of the world is by setting aside days of honor in their world
calendar, such as International Jazz Day (April 30th).
We ask that UNESCO honor the gift of Lindy Hop by
setting aside May 26th, chosen as being the birthday of one of the
founders of Lindy Hop, Frankie Manning, and as the date that is
already being celebrated as World Lindy Hop Day by
people across the world
- 2014: Added to Chase's Calendar of Events
- 2014/05/26: Launched WLHD at Frankie100 Event (Ceremony et. al)
- 2016/05/26: Frankie Manning is honored as a google doodle on his 102nd birthday
- 2016/05/27: UNESCO Facebook campaign begins!
- Future: Get possible help from "International Dance Council" (CID) since they are physically located in and recognized by UNESCO.
- International Jazz Day (Apr 30)
- World Poetry Day (Mar 21)
- Tango Argentino World Heritage by UNESCO
- International Day of Dance? (Apr 29)
- Tango: Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
Tango is on the list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
for member state Argentina. USA has nothing on the list
- National (USA) Tap Day (May 25) (Bill Bojangles bday)
Presented to U.S. Congress on Feb 7, 1989 - signed into American law
by Bush on Nov 8, 1989. One-time official observance was May 25, 1989
Lindy Hop was an art form that brought people together and broke the
color barrier. During a time of Jim Crow laws in America where
segregation was strong, the Savoy Ballroom, where the Lindy Hop
originated, was a place where people of all colors could dance.
Lindy Hop has since spread from it's American roots and is
enjoyed in an artistic and cultural exchange between people
across the globe.
Thanks to many events around the world, Lindy Hop has become
an artistic exchange that is transcultural.
World Lindy Hop Day will not have financial implications for the
regular budget of UNESCO
- Bring together cultures across the world to increase tolerance and understanding
- Recognize Lindy Hop for it's role in fighting racial segragation
- Credit Lindy Hop for it's role in establishing improvised partner dancing